Sunday, March 1, 2009

what is philosophy



I have been wondering ever since I took up lecturship as my job that I would make available to all who are interested , the basic idea about 'philosophy' as a subject. This is specially for all who are not students of philosophy but interested to know about the subject. Today I will introduce the word 'philosophy'.
Let us start with the question 'what is philosophy?' philosophy is a combination of two words 'philo' and 'sophia'philo meaning love and sophia means knowledge.Hence a philosopher is one who is engaged in the pursuit of knowledge. philosophy began in 'wonder' as man wondered about the events like sunrise and sunset, and change of seasons, he started asking questions about himself, the purpose of his life and the cause of all the changes he observed. Thus began seeking knowledge, began philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave your comments